Okay, so I did a newby kind of really embarassing thing last Saturday. It was something that I have told students, even, to never do. It's sick 'em in oboe cleaning.
You see, the top of the upper joint of the oboe is quite narrow. You have to run a kind of thin silk swab that is sown onto a strong string with a weight at the end through the bore of the instrument. It's a bit tricky, since if you're not careful or if the swab is too thick, it will get stuck.
The oboe bore is conical shaped. Anyway, I've never gotten a swab stuck. Ever. Until last Saturday.
It was really stuck. I had pulled really, really hard to get it through. Oh, my! Did I ever feel dumb.
I hadn't realized that the bore of the oboe d'Amore was even smaller at the very top than the regular oboe. The swab I use for my oboe is too large for the d'Amore. Duh!
So, on Monday I went into the local music store, and rather sheepishly confessed my transgression. The technician was in and was able to quickly get the piece of swab out. He told me that it was really jammed in there.
I knew that already. Anyway, d'Amore back in service. After Christmas, I'll take her in for a tune up. It's now broken in. He'll check it all over to make any adjustments that may be needed. Some of the notes aren't quite right pitch and response wise. It can't all be me or the reeds. Honestly, it can't!
Sunday I hope to debut the instrument for communion music at our church. We shall see. I'll play my regular oboe for worship as well.
I love this.